General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1999 TL egr valve errors will not go away

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Default 1999 TL egr valve errors will not go away

I have a 1999 TL that had been showing an error P0140 (egr insufficient flow), and the TCS warning light came on after a while each time I drove the car. Bought a new egr valve from AutoZone, installed it, but after a while had the error show up again. Removed the new egr valve and found the pintle stem that is supposed to lift was loose, so it wasn’t lifting. Returned the valve under warranty and got another new one and installed it, but still had the error.
Looked on Acura forums and found out about the carbon buildup in egr system, so I removed the intake manifold and cleaned a bunch of carbon from everything I could reach in the manifold and also on the engine, with a long stiff brush, an air hose, and carb cleaner. I re-assembled it and tried it out, but now I got a P1491 (egr insufficient lift) error, so something is still not right. I have checked out all the vacuum and electrical routing and didn’t find anything loose or leaking.
I would really like to find out my problem, although the car has been running fine and I am not too worried that it will damage anything. Could I still have carbon blocking something that I couldn’t get to during my cleaning operation? I think I got it all, but maybe not. I found a little info inline about doing an electrical check on the egr (mayve extracted from the Acura service manual?), but it was confusing so I haven’t tried that yet.
I would appreciate any help – this is getting old!
Charlie