Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more...

91 Acura Nighmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:29 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hi all,

I'm at my wits end and am looking for a direction. I have my son's 91 Acura integra. We have rebuilt the engine from the ground up and had it running for about a month. Initially it had a irratic RPM at idle. We chased that down to the idle contol air valve. Now it has always been running rich, so to get it through emissions I have replaced the O2 sensor, distributor, fuel filter and plugs and wires. We made it through emissions but now it has developed a new problem. It is running SO rich now that it floods the engine after a second of cranking on start up. The car will start and run if pull started to about 3000 RPM but won't maintain an idle or start on its own. I trying to fix the issue I have replaced the Fuel regulator, ECU, Fuel relay, throttle position sensor. As I see it, the engine is getting plenty of fuel so it can't be the fuel pump. If I crimp off the fuel line with a set of pliers I can get the car to start for a second. SO what is left???? I'm at a loss. I have another fuel pump but find that hard to believe is the issue. I could change fuel injectors but I would expect one to go bad and not the whole set. ANY thoughts?? The money pit awaits another feeding and I have no clue.

Thanks,

-Doug
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 PM

did you ever get the problem fixed?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 PM

I have finally made it past this nightmare and on to the next one.

After dumping arm loads of cash into the car, the problem ended up being a slipping timing belt. The belt looked to be in good condition but managed to slip one tooth and then finally 2 teeth on the cam which caused the starting problem.

The latest issue isn't due to Acura but morefrom a 18 year old driver. One week before going off to boot camp for the Marine Corps my son blew the transmission. Now I'm replacing it and selling this busted POS out of my life for ever!!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM

I only ask because my 91 teg does the same thing every now and then and now i think i know what the problem is. your last post really helped me out.

the problem that i have is say your starting the car and it starts for a second or two then shuts off. you try and start it but all it does it crank and no fire. you wait a few minutes and try again and it fires and stays running. is this what yours was doing. so that i know what to fix on mine.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Sounds about the same.

When you pull the valve cover you will be able to see if the timing belt has slipped. The cams should have marks on them that you can line up and see if you are off by a tooth or so.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:32 PM

If its not raining to bad this weekend I will take a look. Thecar runs great when it starts its just getting it to start during those trouble times. Also is the computer under the carpet on the passenger side and is that where the diagnostic port is?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM

Unfortunately the 91 is a OBD 1 and all you get is a flashing diode for a code. Pull the pass carpet and you should see a flashing red light. Long lights are base 10 and short lights are base 1. Count the longs and shorts and that will give you your code. Then you can find the code in your maint. book to see what it is trying to tell you.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Ok, also it would under that metal shield where your feet are at correct?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM

Correct!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 PM

thank you for help with the flooding issue.