CL The Mid-Sized coupe that offered buyers the feel of a compact coupe with the interior to comfortably seat 4...

Rear seat removal on a 97 CL

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 AM

Anyone know how to remove the rear seat on a 97 CL? I want to put on seat covers to protect them from my lovable old black lab. It should be easy to do but I don't want to damage the seats trying when I don't know what I'm doing. I bought a 2005 Buick Century with only 4,800 miles on it in Florida last February and I asked the same question for the same reason on a Buick Century forum as well as a Buick Regal forum since they're basically the same car but I've had no replies to date. I hope seat removal isn't too complex a task for Buick guys or for Acura guys for that matter. It's amazing what great shape Florida cars are in since they don't use road salt in winter like they do here in Canada. The Century looked almost like it just came out of the show room. Mind you Florida has lots of old coots who buy new cars and only use them to cruise funeral homes to get a few coots before beaming up to their great reward in the sky.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM

THERE SHOULD BE A SINGLE 10MM HEADED BOLT TUCKED BETWEEN THE BACKREST AND THE SEAT BOTTOM.PULL IT AND THEN PIVOT THE BOTTOM OPEN LIKE A LUNCH BOX.

1 MORE 10MM BOLT ON EACH SEAT SIDE BOLSTER.
FOLLOWED BY 2 10MM ON EACH HINGE BRACKET.

ALL SHOULD BE SEEN WITH THE BOTTOM CUSHION OUT.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks acuralegend ...

I tried to find that 10 mm bolt but can't get between the backrest and seat bottom not to mention those other bolts so I wrote down your instructions and will show them to a friend who is not a technopeasant like me to check it out. You make it sound like the seat bottom should lift right out without any bolts or whatever but if so I can't even do that.
God created the Yellow Pages for guys like me. I'll let you know if I get everything figured out. Do you know if the same instructions would apply to a Buick Century?

Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 PM

That 1 10mm headed bolt should unlock the bottom cushion.

then it pivots on its front edge as it opens.

and it is a SOB to pry between the two cushions and find that 1 bolt.

you will not find the others till the lower is out of the vehicle.

as far as the buick.i really dont know. i would look under the front edge for mounting hardwear. or inbetween the cushions again.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Thanx acuralegend ...

Maybe my problem was as you described it ... "it is a SOB to pry between the two cushions and find that 1 bolt". I'll take another shot at it but with more gusto. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 PM

I work for the circuit city road shop, and i couldnt agree with you more legend.. pulling out the back seat for anything.. whether it be wiring or replacing speakers.. sucks a whole hell of a lot.

The easiest way to do it IMO is get a piece of ABS plastic with no sharp edges obviously, and try and open up a space big enough tosee down to the bolt, the hardest part is getting the rachet on it.. from there its game over back seat lol