Acura  Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum

Acura Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/)
-   Vigor (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/vigor-44/)
-   -   Acura Vigor Stalling with A/C on (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/vigor-44/acura-vigor-stalling-c-4354/)

Jeff 08-04-2010 12:45 PM

Acura Vigor Stalling with A/C on

I'm new and have been beaten down by a machine. Situation: 1994 Vigor runs perfect with no A/C. Get car hot, Turn A/C on, car idles well until about 800 rpm where it will "on occasion" almost stall or miss for lack of a better description. RPM past that are fine. I tried: 1) Clean intake throat and butterfly 2) Clean intake air pin. 3) Replaced EGR valve 4) Replaced main relay (that 1 bolt is a killer). 5) checked Idle control valve...looked clean. 6) Injector cleaner in Gas tank. 7) Tune-up with plugs, cap was replaced last year. 8) new battery as it was 4 years old. 9) try to avoid the 800 RPM range. Help from folks are welcome.

Jeff 08-05-2010 01:05 PM

Discovery of problem solution: Due to electrical load the symtoms get worse. That means that running the A/C, fan motor, defroster, lights or any other major load impacts the "Camshaft Position Sensor".

<LI id=jsArticleStep1>The camshaft position sensor sends a signal to the ignition module or the electronic control module (whichever computer is responsible for telling the coils when to fire). This signal carries information on where the camshaft is (and, thus, where each piston is). The information is critical, because an engine can only run properly if the spark plugs fire near the top of the compression stroke, and the computer would be unable to adjust the ignition timing to compensate for driving conditions without that information. Symptoms

<LI id=jsArticleStep1>A failed camshaft position sensor will show up in a number of ways. The worst-case scenario is that there is no spark in the combustion chamber. Other symptoms can include excessively long cranking time when starting cold, rough running on an intermittent basis, poor idle, stumbling or hesitation, a drop in mileage and stalling upon acceleration. These symptoms may also be caused by a failure in the wiring of the sensor.

Jeff 08-09-2010 03:22 PM

Hold the presses. Acura Tech and diagnostic computer was wrong. It did not fix the problem. I told them I believe problem is a poor alternator. Remember the symptoms. Runs great with no electric load. With Lights, a/c, defroster etc.. it has problems at low end RPM. A weak alternator will juice up at high RPM but not at low. Will keep you posted.

Jeff 08-17-2010 10:03 AM

Alternator was the problem. It tested good but it was not perfect. Tech disconnected the Alternator and ran off battery and Problem went away. He replace Alternator with a new one and "poof" , problem solved.

WheelBrokerAng 08-17-2010 10:20 AM

That was a good post, I'm sure it helped out many members who have read it..
Thank You Member...

WheelBrokerAng :)

jackson18813 11-09-2010 10:37 AM

no idea regarding this

WheelBrokerAng 11-12-2010 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by jackson18813 (Post 12271)
no idea regarding this

Then this post of your's like mine here would be worthless wouldn't :eek:

ndrewoods 03-03-2011 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 10912)
Discovery of problem solution: Due to electrical load the symtoms get worse. That means that running the AC switch, fan motor, defroster, lights or any other major load impacts the "Camshaft Position Sensor".

<LI id=jsArticleStep1>The camshaft position sensor sends a signal to the ignition module or the electronic control module (whichever computer is responsible for telling the coils when to fire). This signal carries information on where the camshaft is (and, thus, where each piston is). The information is critical, because an engine can only run properly if the spark plugs fire near the top of the compression stroke, and the computer would be unable to adjust the ignition timing to compensate for driving conditions without that information. Symptoms

<LI id=jsArticleStep1>A failed camshaft position sensor will show up in a number of ways. The worst-case scenario is that there is no spark in the combustion chamber. Other symptoms can include excessively long cranking time when starting cold, rough running on an intermittent basis, poor idle, stumbling or hesitation, a drop in mileage and stalling upon acceleration. These symptoms may also be caused by a failure in the wiring of the sensor.

Cool. It's good that you still updated the thread with the cause and the cure for the problem. Never thought that the problem would be the camshaft position sensor.

steven13 02-02-2012 04:23 AM

what this it is not clear to me what actually your going to say.

Jeff 02-03-2012 09:00 AM

Problem was the Alternator

At low rpm the alternator was not supplying full electric when under load. High RPM it was ok.. Replaced Alternator and problem was fixed. JG