TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

Navigation System Dissatisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 PM

As I had alluded to in the poll, I am a dissatisfied owner of the navigation system. I am currently in the Augusta, Georgia area and have had very poor performance from the navigation system. The kinds of problems I'm having deal with very slow calculation times, and very frequently I will find myself driving through neighborhoods that are listed as nonexistent in the database, but the neighborhoods are much older than 2005 (my own included)!!!

The worst gripe I have pertains to functionality. I was driving near the hospital where I work and decided (for entertainment purposes) to route to the nearest hospital. The correct answer would have been to take me to MCG which was three traffic lights away. However, the system decided to route me to St. Joseph's Hospital which is not the closest to where I was (15th St). Another issue pertained to searching for local stores. I actually went to the dealership to test this one, I simply requested to search for the nearest Walgreens. The Walgreens in my neighborhood has been around for 15 years, long enough to make it into any other map database. When I was at the dealership I asked the sales person to help me route to the nearest Walgreens (in a 2008 RL). You should have seen his face when it routed me to a Walgreens 140 miles away! The funny thing is he claimed that this is the first time he had seen that, but when you check other forms online you will see that there are many people out there who are having problems similar to myself.

It makes the driving experience less pleasant when you have to deal with the bugs from a centerpiece of your technology package. I have contemplated aftermarket packages, but removal of the original unit and replacement will run an additional $3500. Perhaps Acura will listen if more people complain about the bugs, especially since they contracted Kenwood to be the manufacturer rather than a reputable company such as Garmin or Magellan.

If any of the other luxury carmakers are able to integrate a more robust navigation system into their automobiles then you can bet I'll switch. Sure, the ride is pretty damn good in the Acura. However, if the Toyota family comes out with a more robust system then you can that I will trade both of my Acura automobiles soon. Perhaps someone from Acura reads these boards because the salespeople at the dealership in Augusta are pretty oblivious to this and simply brush off this issue as inconsequential.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>