Acura  Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum

Acura Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/)
-   TL (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/tl-16/)
-   -   05-07 TL question (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/tl-16/05-07-tl-questin-3043/)

DISki 12-10-2008 07:45 PM

Good evening,
My wife and I where out looking for a new car and she fell in love with the Acura TL, which I thought was an extremely nice car as well. So anyway, we started looking around and are interested in a used car around 05-07 model year. Is there anything we should look out for in these year TL's? Any recurring problems? Extra's that are a necessity? Thanks again,
Ski
< =""><!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>

acuralegend 12-17-2008 12:19 PM

as with any used car maintence records would mean a lot to me.

acuras have a bad rep for transmission issues. mostly because the second owner doesnt maintain it correctly.

look for very good transmission service records.

if the car has over 90k miles on it make sure to get PROOF of timing belt work. not just a say so.
transmission replacements can run 2000-3000 east
and same for broken timing belts.

Greenbling 01-12-2009 06:01 PM

^ good advice.

Also those years have a recall on the power steering feed hose. And some also have a recall on the wiper motor, snorkel kit (but not all). So if they haven't had that taken care of, call your dealer they can look up your vin and tell you if you need it. If you do need it make an appointment as soon as you can, chances are you will have a 2+ month wait

The most common thing I see with those is the power steering pump go bad (more common on older models of that body style). They start by making noise when you turn the wheel. Its not particularly related to the recall though so there's no help there. So when your checking the car out make sure to listen carefully for a louder then usual whine when turning the wheel, and also check the power steering fluid level. It is under a engine cover on the passenger front of the engine compartment. This isn't something i would say we see a whole lot..

but its really one of the only things i can think of.
The cap next to all the door handles tend to pop off, but they are not very expensive to replace.
Also if it has a lot of miles on it, another thing i tend to see is motor mounts. That is to be expected with higher mileage, but keep that expense in the back of your mind.

These are all things that aren't really, very common... but just what i have seen the most of.

Another thing to look for is, the 06+ models have the maintenance minder system which is really nice. It configures your maintenance needs to your particular driving habits along with other parameters.