Acura  Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum

Acura Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/)
-   RSX (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/rsx-18/)
-   -   Best Way to get more HP (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/rsx-18/best-way-get-more-hp-322/)

RSXGoddess 03-06-2006 11:57 AM

I really want to upgrade my rsx that i just got but do not know where to begin. I need some help please!!!!

your_xtc 03-09-2006 12:55 AM

If you just got the vehicle you might want to wait awhile to make sure that nothing that your warranty will cover will go wrong and if you started modding they might not cover it depending on the problem.

After you think about that most people start out with Intake/Headers/Exhaust.

No need if you plan on going with a turbo though. The only thing useful to you then is Exhaust. But you could upgrade your cams and a grounding kit stuff like that. But it all depends on what you wanna do. What do you want out of your car???

These links that come up on the things that I type though (the one about the turbonator) Don't even waste your time.Edited by: your_xtc

davidmjh 03-09-2006 02:31 AM

to increase your speed i always go for the weight first, try and reduce the weight of the car, which can mean buying new stuff[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

RSXGoddess 03-09-2006 11:48 AM

Both great suggestions!!! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] I have been thinking about gettin a catback exhaust and upgrading the cams. What are the best cams for the RSX??? I used to be a Mustang junkie and then I researched the RSX one day and loved it. I`m still new to the RSX and any advice would be AWESOME!!!! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

your_xtc 03-09-2006 12:08 PM

if you are going to reduce a lot of weight I would go for suspension as my very first thing. Pirelli was it that said "speed is nothing without control"

cbads06typeS 03-12-2006 12:30 PM

I am going to start with an exhaust as my first up grade. In my opinion the Rsx is already a light car suspension plays a large role in the high speeds. A good exhaust should give you about 30 extra horses if im not mistaken at least thats what I gained on my 92 SHO mtx. Dynomax seems to be a the most commenly used brand.

your_xtc 03-17-2006 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by cbads06typeS

I am going to start with an exhaust as my first up grade. In my opinion the Rsx is already a light car suspension plays a large role in the high speeds. A good exhaust should give you about 30 extra horses if im not mistaken at least thats what I gained on my 92 SHO mtx. Dynomax seems to be a the most commenly used brand.

your_xtc 03-17-2006 07:20 PM

Edited by: your_xtc

your_xtc 03-17-2006 07:22 PM

There is no way you achieved 30 whp with exhaust alone. If you did I will kiss my own ass. Bolt ons are a good start though but make sure you use a header with Intake and exhaust and get a cold air intake not a short ram. If your gonna spend the money make sure it is on something that works.

sorry about all those other posts problem with my computerEdited by: your_xtc

RSXGoddess 03-29-2006 12:05 PM

yeah i am looking at at K&N cold air intake. I want catback exhaust. I gotta look into it more and found the best exhaust. money is not a problem...

cbads06typeS 03-29-2006 02:47 PM

Try a search on http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...bmodels.php?br andid=957&partid=15&makeid=2 Theres only covers up to 2004 If im not mistaken. I got my cold air intake for 270 bucks. Installed by urs truely. Let me know how it turns out good luck

RSXGoddess 03-31-2006 11:29 AM

I have an `03 so that site would be perfect. What else do you suggest i should do for beginning mods to my car?

cbads06typeS 03-31-2006 12:18 PM

Intake,headers,ehaust are all good ways to start off.As for suspension I found that lowering your car gives you better handeling but in turn causes more wear on susp parts. Plus theres always turbo or supercharger. Turbo gives youa boost of power at a predetermined RPM. Superchargers give boost at all RPMsnot good if ur looking to keep good gas mileage. Theres also computer chips an awesome way to gainsome horses but be careful on which one you buy not all chips give the amount of gain as they claim.With more power it can be easier to lose control so tire upgrades are a must if you want to take thoseturns fast. Pro Z rated tires provide good traction. Do youhave any pics of ur RSX id love to see if you do.Edited by: cbads06typeS

your_xtc 04-13-2006 07:37 PM

Actually if you buy a decent brand your suspension will better your handling and not be "wearing out your suspension". If you are looking to turn your car into "something special" your best bet is suspension. Yes on a drag it doesn't really matter but anywhere else it will definately help. Then you want to work on a little horsepower. If you don't wanna go all out then stay with I/H/E but if you wanna go turbo (definately not supercharger on your car) then skip I/H and buy a turbo kit then exhaust. Also small things that can help you out is racing pulleys, grounding kits, ignition, upgrade timing, fuel systems ect.

cbads06typeS 04-15-2006 12:29 AM

Turbo[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]would kick butt. Anyone know whats the starting price for one of the best kits?

your_xtc 04-16-2006 02:25 PM

Stage 3 turbo kits usually run arond 4500-5000. You don't need intake and headers if you are going to get a turbo kit so don't waste your money. Remember to get an exhaust that doesn't give a lot of back pressure. Make sure you find a good one that will give your fuel rails a return line and also some type of Safc or fuel management system.

cbads06typeS 04-16-2006 11:33 PM

5 grand is breaking the piggy bank too early. I already have a money pit with my 92SHO mtx heres a linky http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...210/Picture001 .jpg

I love this car a Ford Tauras with an engine manufactured by Yamaha. Would you believe it if I told you that that engine has 215 thousand miles on it and still smokes the tires in second gear. Oops sorry for going off topic. So what do you guys think about my SHO yay or nay? Heres a better view of the outside http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...210/Picture015 .jpg

your_xtc 04-18-2006 11:06 AM

not bad what mods are done under the hood.?

cbads06typeS 04-18-2006 09:31 PM

Just a drop in K&n air filter engine wise. As for the rest of the car I had the bottom the car reinforced with steel rods to prevent warping. Other than that its maintnence maintnence and more maintnence.

your_xtc 04-21-2006 02:11 PM

I hear that I have an 04 spec V and damn there is a lot of maint involved.

cbads06typeS 04-22-2006 01:15 AM

for exampleEdited by: cbads06typeS

your_xtc 05-02-2006 05:07 PM

well a lot of it is basic maint such as your 30,000 mile where I am at right now. But also with this car the QR25 engine was built horrible if you ask me. While I have had no real problem with it just the concept should have been better. It has a ridiculous 100mm stroke and week internals. You have to keep your maint up or a simple over rev can cause all sorts of problems. Injectors have always beena lil weird with nissan. They like to tick. A lot of people can confuse it with knock and so can the knock sensor they put on the car. Right next to the heads causing a small loss of power. Replacing the sensor in a better spot can help that. Then they had a problem with the butterfly screws aka powervalve screws coming loose. So lock tite them and you got the basics done. Cost at Garage or dealer can come close to 800 USD. Then I live in Norfolk VA home of the worst roads ever so things like tires (Toyo Proxys is my choice) = 150USD a tire and I have already been through three for things such as a file in the middle of the road. Yeah I was pissed. Then for some reason they have bumps the size of speed bumps on interstate and the roads haven't been repaved since god knows when so allignments are now a quarterly maint. Just the simple stuff man but damn you can't get ahead anymore. Especially when you have to buy the good juice for your car. Next project. A ninja. That should take care of the gas prices.

cbads06stype 06-24-2006 02:19 AM

OK so the rsx isnt as light as I posted ealier 3700lbs thats a heavy azz car for being a hatchback. Do you guys know that the rsx is being discontinued 06 is the last year of production. In case you havent already heard.

d-man05 07-16-2007 01:15 AM

how much horsepower are you looking for? what are your goals for the car? if you just want a fun daily driver than the basic bolt ons should satisfy your needs.. (intake, cams, header, exaust, intake)..

but if you want more than 300whp and wanna run 12's then a turbokit should be in your wishlist.. google rsx turbo kits and youl get tons of different vendors and brands... good luck.

oh. and the RSX is NOT 3700 pounds.. that the weight of an average 60's muscle car like a dodge charger with a hemi!.. its more in the neibourhood of 2400 to 2700 pounds...Edited by: d-man05