RL Acura's 300HP All Wheel Drive luxury sedan...

’97 RL Vibration/Shaking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
I own a 1997 RL with 302,000 miles on it. Recently, the car has begun to shake while driving. The shaking/vibrating seems to originate from the center of the car's engine compartment, and not from any single wheel. The tires have been balanced, one replaced because of cupping, and the wheels aligned. A CV joint and axle have also been replaced, and the steering rack boots replaced, recently.

This shaking/vibrating begins after the car has been driven for approximately 30 minutes,which means to me there is a temperature relationship. Also, the shaking/vibrating seems to begin at 45 mph, and is worse from 45 to 65 mph, and then it smoothes out some. When I shift it to neutral, the shaking goes away and the car is very smoothe. Reving the engine in neutral does not cause any vibration or noise. The shaking is most pronounced when accelerating, making slight turns following the freeway at 70 mph plus, and also when decelerating without braking.

Because the car has so many miles on it, I do not want to spend thousands chasing a problem. Can anyone give me methods to check for the possible problems without just changing parts?

Thanks from a newbie!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 AM

</>
CHECK THE MOTOR MOUNTS OR THE TRANSMISSION BOLTS. IT COULD BE THE FLYWHEEL.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 AM

yes check the mount hardwear and mounts but the flywheel should shake due to engine speed not vehicle speed.

i found a nick on a diff assembly on a 96 legen the other day that would cause a vibration at 40+ mph and only under acceleration.

if you have a automatic you may have internal damage.

it sounds to me like you have performed every possiable test and replacement already.it has to be in that transmission. because when you pull it out of gear the sound stops.

it also cant be in the rest of the drive train becaue the sound stops when its no longer in gear.

if you hold it in first or second can you make it vibrate at lower speeds?

if you keep it out of overdrive but still at 40-45 mph will the vibration stop.
(i suspect a clutchpack)
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM

</>
I drove the car tonight, with little or no vibration. I did not drive it the approximately 25 to 40 miles it takes to get the car warm enough so it begins to shake/vibrate.

To answer your questions:

Old 01-16-2009, 11:02 PM

I hate to say this but I have a 96 Acura RL and it did the EXACT things you are speaking of. We changed out the whole hub assembly, the upper control arm, tires and I was almost ready to give up when I finaly broke down & took it to acura dealer they said it WAS the Axle. You may want to take a look at the axle on the other side and/or change out the control arm & hub assembly. I got the axle at NAPA for $59 and the hub assembly and upper control arm came off a wrecked acura for about 90 for both. Drives great now no more shaking. I doubt the trans is making it do that. I have also had to replace my trans mount as well and it will cause the car to shift hard but not shake.