RL Acura's 300HP All Wheel Drive luxury sedan...

2000 RL fuel starvation

Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Default 2000 RL fuel starvation

Hi Community
I have a strange problem . I recently changed the gas tank on my Rl as the original was leaking due to corrosion. I also changed the pump-denso- and the screen. When the gas level is just above the level of a quarter tank the car began to stall in a left turn , when i stopped at a stop sign , and on sloping roads . It only happens at this fuel level and gets worse as the level drops. After some time I figured it out. It would start up immediately after the movement of the gas in the tank stopped. Above this level the car behaves normally.

The tank is used from a 2000 acura RL. Has anyone experienced this before.?

The mechanic who installed the tank and pump told me that the tank has no baffles? is it possible that the pump could have been incorrectly installed, wit the old tank i could drive it down to the light

Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 PM

I have a 1999 Acura with exactly the same problem. My problem starts at the 1/2 tank level. Pretty funny, the left turn syndrome and all.

I don't really care. After I drive about 120 miles, I know that the engine will stall in a left turn. It also restarts as I shift into neutral and restart.
It has become something of a trick to show unsuspecting passengers. My acquaintances think that I am psychic/psycho. I love it.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by gaffster
I have a 1999 Acura with exactly the same problem. My problem starts at the 1/2 tank level. Pretty funny, the left turn syndrome and all.

I don't really care. After I drive about 120 miles, I know that the engine will stall in a left turn. It also restarts as I shift into neutral and restart.
It has become something of a trick to show unsuspecting passengers. My acquaintances think that I am psychic/psycho. I love it.
t

thanks for responding gaffster did this happen after you changed the tank pump and screen as well my problem is that I have a teenager driving the car so I can do what u do but she can't
do u think it could b the pump

Old 02-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the response I have identified and fixed the prob The attachment plastic pipe on the aftermarket pump screen was about a quarter in shorter than the original screen So I extended the attachment pipe with a piece of rubber hose and attached the old screen as the aftermarket screen was much smaller than the original and its attachment angle was different i.e it sat higher in the tank looking into the tank and jacking up the car on the left side confirmed that the bowl in the tank where the screen sits does not empty when the car is tilted. So it was a learning experience. The stalling on a low tank has disappeared