Acura  Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum

Acura Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/)
-   RL (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/rl-15/)
-   -   1996 RL Window Motor (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/rl-15/1996-rl-window-motor-3693/)

coloradowest 08-07-2009 05:47 PM

1996 RL Window Motor

Driver side rear window seems to have come off track or something and won't roll up. Motor still runs, and makes rattling and crunching noises as it gets to the top or bottom of its run. Window can be moved up and down easily by hand but will not go all the way up. I have the door panel off and can't really see in there to see what's going on. Any ideas on what the prob is, how to fix it, and how hard of a job this is? Thanks....

seamusNH 08-08-2009 09:43 AM

The problem is most likely the window regulator. There is a small white pulley that gets mangled. Very common in early RLs. Happened to both of my rear windows. Poor design.

There are some for sale on ebay. Check some of the other forums for more info: acuraworld.com, acura-legend.com

philanthropist.123 08-20-2009 12:40 PM

This not right to drive without having a proper rear view. This can be horrible for you as well as the others. Go and have it repaired. Dont neglect it.

aliyork35 09-07-2009 03:00 AM

You can take it to a dealer. He will be the best person to help.

coloradowest 09-08-2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by seamusNH (Post 9148)
The problem is most likely the window regulator. There is a small white pulley that gets mangled. Very common in early RLs. Happened to both of my rear windows. Poor design.

There are some for sale on ebay. Check some of the other forums for more info: acuraworld.com, acura-legend.com

Thanks, seamusNH. I got the old window regulator out and as you said the plastic pieces are mangled. I went to put in the new one that I ordered off the internet. But the sliding piece that attaches to the window is the wrong shape. All the parts suppliers have the part number as A462904 and the picture looks like the one they sent me but it's different from the one I took out of the car. Did you run into this at all? See pic on next posting.

Philanthropist....my view is not blocked at all. But thanks....

Aliyork....this is a job I can do myself....if I can get the right part. Thanks!

coloradowest 09-08-2009 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the two parts, the left one being the one I took from the car.

ndrewoods 05-12-2011 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by seamusNH (Post 9148)
The problem is most likely the window regulator parts. There is a small white pulley that gets mangled. Very common in early RLs. Happened to both of my rear windows. Poor design.

Bump. +1. Experienced this before and it was such a headache looking for what the main culprit is. I soon found out that it is the regulator motor that is wrong. Try looking at JCWhitney for parts. Best of luck.

seamusNH 05-23-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ndrewoods (Post 13196)
Bump. +1. Experienced this before and it was such a headache looking for what the main culprit is. I soon found out that it is the regulator motor that is wrong. Try looking at JCWhitney for parts. Best of luck.

Both regulators on my rear windows broke; I never got them fixed. I still have the window regulator motor. Send me an email, seamusnh (at) gmail.com, if you are interested...

Multiple Cars Guy 06-13-2011 10:44 AM

Shouldn't be an expensive fix. You can get motors at a junkyard for not that much.

WheelBrokerAng 07-18-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by coloradowest (Post 9471)
Here is a pic of the two parts, the left one being the one I took from the car.

Good pictures you took there...Thanks :)