Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... just about anything goes...

$$$+car=fast... If done right!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 PM

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>I titled it like this because of all the young pups that come to me from time to time and expect miracles to be done to their cars for very little money. I'm 40 and kinda' think that todays youth dreams beyond what they can really do. My comments here are not directed to any one in particular, 'cause I really don't know any one yet to direct it to. AndI don't mean to offend any one with what I will and/or may write. So please try to see what I mean before getting upset with this post of mine.

Here it goes... Money makes power in your car! Unless you spend some money to get the correct equipment to get the power you want, you will not get what you are expecting. PERIOD! Now I know that there are some bolt on stuff that give impressive results and that's all fine and good. But, SLAPPING ON THIS stuff doesn't mean that your engine will be reliable for too long. An engine needs to be built, bottom up, so that when you use these new HP getters it won't kill your ride prematurely. Fuel, air and spark need to be upgraded as well as the air flow speedout of the exhuast. An engine is only as efficient as the amount of air that it can pump through it, and out,at any given moment. An engine is a glorified air pump, designed to fit into a car and produce torque to the transmission, which, in turn, translates that torque to usablefoot pounds to the wheels. From the factory, a car is designed to produce a certain amount of get up and go, depending on the model. If you want way more than what the OE stuff is designed for you need to up gradeall required parts, or assemblies to suite the need of your HP goals.

Case in point... There was this 19 year old kid that came to me with his Honda and wanted me to get his car to have high horses. He asked me what it would take to get 400hp to 500hp. I responded, about $5,500 to $6,500, labor and parts included. He looked at me and said that all he had was $1,500. I smiled and said to him that that money could very well be used to get a very nice exhaust or a qualitylowering kit. But for what he wanted, it was going to cost him. I have to pay my over head and that was a low favourable figure. I thought I was doing him a favor.He smiled and suggested that we could reuse some of the old components in the build. Funny, ain't it?!?! I'll stop here 'cause any one with a mechanical back ground who's been doing it for a while will tell you what response comes next aftar that dumb remark!!! I would have suggested to take that $1,500 as a down payment to start his build but seeing where the subject was going led me to tell the kid to have a good day and good luck!

My point is that in the automotive world, MONEY MAKES HORSE POWER. And if in capable hands, reliable HP. &lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-41"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: blackmonkey

Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Amen brother. Thiscommon post here.People Ask "what's the best way to get50 morewhp from my whip? I don't wanna spent money on a turbo or anything." The only answer is, money. Since you don't want to spend it, you can't make that power. Plus with added power comes added stress on your tranny and axles. Braking systems and suspenssion need to be up-graded so you can slow down all that new power.

Also, this is not an investment in your car. It is an investment in your driving of the car.If you have a civic thats KBB value is 5k and you go and drop another5k in the motor, the value of the car isn't 10k. Truth be told it isn't even 7k. Maybe 6.5k IF the buyer can reconizeand appreciatethe work thats been done.

That being said in my opinionthe correct upgrades are WORTH EVERY PENNY. When a car is produced for the first time, there is always astruggle between the engineers and the bean counters. bean counters always win. There is a lot of performance left on the table for every car made. How do you extract it? Ask the experts like yourself.Welcome to Acura Forums. I hope you enjoy the site.</>&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-41"; urchinTracker(); </>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: AKinDen

Old 05-17-2008, 01:40 AM

Those manufacters have several other things to factor in like comfort, volume, average buyer size, current trend in styles. those are the things that we can all change to make our rides our own. again every thing has a cost.

WE all have dreams WE all want the most we can get. and those pesky customers that come in with 1500 and want 7000 will need a education. (the trick is to not offend them in the process).

I hope to see you on the site many many more times. the more pros the better, Maybe we can educate the masses and maybe just maybe. make our jobs a little bit easyier.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 PM

</>
Thanks, AKinDen and acuralegend. I have more topics that worry me these days. Little by little, though. I don't want to come off as a worry wort or a saint of any kind. Lord knows I've done my share of dumb things as a kid. As I get older and experience more I tend to see my mortality and feel like sharing my thoughts. Don't get me wrong! Getting older doesn't mean that you stop living and having fun. You just do it more responsibly. I drag for fun at times and road race also. I just don't do it on the streets. Tracks are my thing and the safety that comes with doing it on a track is a plus. This subject of "getting what you want with the amount of cash you put in" is a growing concern for me. I've noticed too many hackers "some what" build cars and not do it with responsibilty. This will eventually lead to no where.

Any way, I don't want to preach and thanks for accepting me into the fold. You guys have good heads on your shoulders and it shows with the mature content of your responses. Again, very good forum!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>