New Member Area New to Acura Forum? Stop in tell us about you...

High Mileage Acura’s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Curious (and I tried doing a thread search already), but is there a thread or a poll posting high-mileage Acura's anywhere to be found? I'd be particularly interested to know about Acura's in excess of 200 or 250,000 miles. And/or, alternatively, anyone doing more than say, 40 or 50K a year?

Thanks in advance ...

Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 AM

Let's see, im @ about 247k and the list:

- going on 2nd or 3rd timing belt @ 270k

- 4 trannys

-o2 sensors replaced 2x

- exhaustworn through2 out of 3 layers, so its on its way out

- alternator is going in about 30k, been replaced 1x

i think that's about IT, try looking this up @ acurazine.com, that'd give you more info...

Old 01-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by arstraub

Let's see, im @ about 247k and the list:

- going on 2nd or 3rd timing belt @ 270k

- 4 trannys

-o2 sensors replaced 2x

- exhaustworn through2 out of 3 layers, so its on its way out

- alternator is going in about 30k, been replaced 1x

i think that's about IT, try looking this up @ acurazine.com, that'd give you more info...
Ok thanks.

Now, at that mileage I would expect all of that (and I am assuming that you simply "replaced" the Timing Belts, and that none "broke" on you?), EXCEPT</span> the "4 Trannys" spooks - that spooks hell outta me!</span>

I was thinking about purchasing my first Acura and really need to know:</span> is this a common problem, with them, or with a specific model please?</span>
Edited by: grc123

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM

i find window motors fail at 100k ish
also ignition switches
if there has been 4 transmissions installed im betting a bad transmission computer is burning them up.

NEVER flush a honda/acura automatic transmission. but fluid should be changed every 25k-30k miles.

over all a acura will cost less per mile to keep running that almost any other production auto.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by acuralegend
i find window motors fail at 100k ish

also ignition switches

if there has been 4 transmissions installed im betting a bad transmission computer is burning them up.

NEVER flush a honda/acura automatic transmission. but fluid should be changed every 25k-30k miles.

over all a acura will cost less per mile to keep running that almost any other production auto.
Not much experience here to speak of with Acura's, but I've had a little with Honda's, and noticed window motor problems, and some overheating issues (water-pump in a '96 Accord and a friends Civic, which I think was about a `90-`92. It had a "run-hot" prob that was never quite diagnosed, and ended-up being a trade-in on the Accord). She traded it in before I could really look into it very deep.

I can NOT imagine putting FOUR transmissions in to ONE vehicle!?! I am certain after a second if I couldn't get to the root of it, I'd have gotten rid of it before the third was necessary ... who can afford multiple transmissions on one vehicle?!? Maybe it was all warranty(?).

I'm very interested in your opinion on trans "flushes". I've heard good arguments made for both sides of that debate (flushing in general - nothing specific to Honda/Acura). Are you saying that there is a problem doing it with Honda/Acura - or are you "anti-flush" for ALL auto-transmissions? I'm simply curious - and trying to learn something here.

Edited by: grc123

Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM

I do have recommendations on transmission service.

if the transmission is under 50k miles then a flush would be a great idea and keep diong it every 50k miles or so.

The reason why.

as that transmission wear out, the breaking down of the clutch packs will put abrasive materials into the oil stream. that in turn will grind away at the valves and passages of the transmission. now we are talking a very VERY small amount of wear but over the course of 100,000 miles it will make those valves sloppy. (the kicker)

At the same time it wears out those valves, the oil will leave deposites in the gaps it creates (to a sertain extent) whitch is why the transmission runs at all at this point.

UNTILL you flush that 100,000+ milage transmission, causing all them deposites to wash away leaving gaps in the valving and a loss in pressure and a increase in slippage on the remaining clutch packs.in turn flushing a high milage transmission MAY be its death sentence.

The added problem with Honda/Acura is they dont put a replaceable filter in the transmission. so those abrasive materials will float around in them right off the bat.

So changing (not flushing)the fluid tends to be only a 30-40% change. not so much to eliminate those deposites but enough to keep the abrasives under control.

on my 1989 prelude pushing 205k it got its transmission fluid "changed" with every engine oil change.

thats 4 qts for the engine and 3 quarts honda atf in the transmission. i also added a INLINE FILTER to the system and i change it every year.i wanna see if i can get 500k miles out of it.