Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

Engine Prob, worst sound ever (video) http://youtu.be/4GNWM6zbaUQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Default Engine Prob, worst sound ever (video) http://youtu.be/4GNWM6zbaUQ

Hey guys.

So last week or so I got a hole in my oil pan after hitting a rogue speed bump at 25. Replaced the part myself, wasn't so complicated, but took a good amount of time. Anyways after the job is done and I am all jazzed up to hear my Legend run again I get the most disgusting sound I've ever heard a car make. Wouldn't start the first few times, only making some bad, gross sound.

After letting it sit for a good 10 minutes I go to start again and it starts, but the sound its making when it runs is almost as bad. I'm afraid to shift it out of park, so I haven't drove around at all.

I will say I put 4.5 quarts of new oil in & the new pan is not leaking. Also the noise is so loud I can't even tell if it’s coming from the engine or not. When I hit the speed bump last week it wasn't making this noise, just loosing oil fast (I parked immediately so the engine was never running with no oil in it).

I need help guys, no spare $ as of now for a newvehicle. Will gladly answer questions or post more videos to help figure this thing out.

sounds like a ****ty lawnmower -

(forum wont let me post links cause I don't have 15 posts yet) type in Youtube search box - 89 Legend Engine Problem (Loud Noise)
OR copy and paste URL from the Title of my post

Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 PM

I have a 88 Acura Legend L Coupe, within the past week now i have already bottomed out my car and scraped the oil pan twice!....really hoping i wont have to replace it!!..that noise though definitely does sound pretty horrible, hard to say what it is though....maybe something got internally damaged when you replaced your oil pan...let us know if you find out what was wrong and details...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Unhappy so?

Have you found out any reason to believe why its making this noise..As i stated before, ive hit my oil pan twice...now my engine sounds like a diesel truck! mine sounds like its trying to go too fast and about to throw every rod its got. Just checking up to see the progress you've made if any. Ill post a video of mine soon.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Whitener95
Have you found out any reason to believe why its making this noise..As i stated before, ive hit my oil pan twice...now my engine sounds like a diesel truck! mine sounds like its trying to go too fast and about to throw every rod its got. Just checking up to see the progress you've made if any. Ill post a video of mine soon.
It ended up being my flywheel cover!!! What I ended up causing the noise was my own fault! I was in the process of changing my oil pan and just to the left of the oil pan is the flywheel. You don't see the actual flywheel because there is a thin metal plate that is covering it to keep dirt/rocks out of there. The flywheel spins @ an extremely high rate and if that flywheel cover is bent in anyway then the flywheel will rub against it - which will cause what my engine sounded like ( A DAMN SAW BLADE RUBBING AGAINST METAL ).

I got the most help from this forum - http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...6zbauq-148642/ (they are soo helpful and reply pretty fast)

also google acura world, i posted this same thread to them. FORUMS ARE THE WAY TO GO FOR HELP WITH YOUR CAR! time after time I have taken my car to a mechanic asking for help - they find a problem whether you have one or not, then find the most expensive way to fix it. On a forum no1 is making money off you, so there's no shady business going on +++ you learn a lot.

I ended up not having to spend a dime to fix this problem, took the plate off and reshaped it with a hammer + it worked fine after that. I had one mechanic (who had worked on hondas for 20 years) tell me he'd put a new engine in for me, but he'd do nothing else...

Good luck + post that video on one of those other forums!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 AM

I have a 88 Acura Legend L Coupe, within the past week now i have already bottomed out my car and scraped the oil pan twice!