Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

Acura’92 Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM

I am getting overheating problems with my Acura-92. It remains fine when driving on highways, but there's heating problem in the traffic(driving really slow or when idle after driving). My radiator fans starts only when heating reaches on red, is this the problem??
Can you please suggest when the radiator fans are supposed to run. If this is the problem what needs to be done. I already spent a lot replacing my radiator and also replaced thermostat 3 times. It also overflows coolant in overflow tank when gets hot and takes it back when car cools down. Shwn it to so many mechanics and everyone tell new thing, some ask for changing water pump and some ask for Gaskit???????

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 AM

yup it sounds like the fan temp sender may be out or spec.

do the fans come on when you turn on the ac?

little trick too.if the fans work and its starting to climb in temp...turn on that ac.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM

Yes fans come on when I turn on the ac even its not hot. I am not sure if the problem is with sensors as fans run when it reaches red. Are there different sensors which tell at what temp they have to start the radiator fans?? I talked to mechanic and he told me there are 2 sensors 1 in radiator and 1 under the hood. so suggest if I need to change both of them??
After reaching red(getting hot) the needle comes back to normal temp and same keeps on going. Not sure if it comes down as fans start or for some other reason.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:44 PM

ok real quick silly question i know the guage says it over heating.

is it really?
there is a fan temp switch
there is a computer temp sender
there is a seperate 1 for the guage

some times the computed and guage sender are the same and the computer tells the guage what to read.

if its too hot and the fans are not kicking in i would replace the tempsender not the fans or relays or fuses. because the fans work with ac and at max temp. (only thing left is the temp sender)

paper clip test the leads together on the temp sender plug.when pluged in fans are on unpluged means no fan.

then again its the sender

Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all your help. Can you please tell me when fans run?? Does fans run when guage just crosses half way mark??
I replaced my guage sensor and it is still same, so it means its really overheating and guage sensor is OK. Now I think there are 2 more sensors. 1 is in radiator and don't know where the second 1 is. Please suggest which 1 I need to replace or should I replace both of them.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM

I came to know about the problem. Actually there was leak in the radiator and I put stop leak in that. It clogged my water pump and may be other pipes also. I got new water pump last week and paid $500 for that. I saw stop leak blocked my water pump and it was not working. Even after pump change Problem is still the same. My mechanic told me stop leak has clogged other water/coolent circulations also and may be in the engine. So please suggest me any other way to remove clogging as engine repair will cost me more than $1000.
Thanks for help in advance...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM

wow how much stop leak did you put in there???

a coolant system flush or 3 sounds to me like a good start.

drain the system and stick a garden hose in the radiator fill/ drain after a bit of running. repeat/rinse

good luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 AM

I put 2 bottles in the radiator. Initially car was running fine maybe nothing was clogged by that time. I already flushed everything 4/5 times, but clogging seems to be worse. After overheating it overflows coolent in reserve box and radiator is empty. So I have to fill it every time I start my car.
Isn't there any liquid or something which removes clogging in the car circulation.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hey, it sounds to me that you have air in your system. Try parking your Acura facing up on a incline/hill. Remove the coolant fill cap an add coolant until all air bubbles are gone.

Hope that helps

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks for suggestion, but I have seen pipes clogged with stop leak. mechanic cleaned water pump and connecting pipes to it. I am not sure where else clogging could be. It was running fine before I put stop leak in it. My mechanic told me that engine might be clogged with stop leak. Please suggest is there any solution to remove clogging?? I already drained my car 4 times. Now I am running my car without thermostat and it doesn't overheat if I run for 10/15 miles, but with thermostat it overheats even after 1 mile.

Quick Reply: Acura’92 Overheating problem