Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

93 Legend L overheat

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 PM

I recently bought a 1993 Acura Legend L sedan. I got it from an auction and now im having problems with it. This is my first car and ive alrady spent 4,000 on the car and plates and everything. I first noticed that the car was not blowing hot air, only cool air.I was driving it to work and i noticed the temp gauge was on H. Smoke started coming from the hood and i pulled over as fast as i could but it was to late. When i opened the hood i noticed a crack on the plastic piece on top of the radiator, and coolent was dripping everywhere. I took the car to a shop and they tested it and told me there was exhaust in the coolent. I was told the head gasket is cracked and the radiator too. They also slapped me with a $2,000 estamate for the work. Anyone have any suggestions or have had a problem like this? let me know. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Hello vaLegendZ, I am surprised noone else had responded to your inquiry. Let me give you a detailed description of what happened to me and what to expectin repairing and replacing damaged parts.

I had the same problem before with the overheating. I had taken it to Goodyear for a radiator and coolant system flush. They cracked my radiator on top below the radiator cap. I couldn't see the crack because it was a fine crack. Anyway, I had to replace the radiator and everything else worked like a charm. I would replace the radiator first. I also believe because of the overheating due to the radiator fault, the cylinder head gasket may have damaged as well. Acura's are sensitive and powerful cars. You gotta have coolant and everything else working properly to save the head gaskets. Now you may need to replace the head gaskets as well. I believe $2,000 for the entire job, replacing the radiator and head gaskets is a good deal.

This is what happens with head gaskets damaging. If the engine is not receiving a cooling flow from the radiator to the engine and return to the radiator the cylinder heads start to overheat which in turn crack the head gasket which is known as a blown head gasket, (bhg). to replace a head gasket is a great deal of work that involves removing the intake manifold, the cams, cam pulley, cylinder heads just to get to the head gasket. Most shop charge any where from $80-120 per hour in labor plus the materials.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM

i had the same problem and had to swap motors

Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1milanored
i had the same problem and had to swap motors

Hello 1milanored, sorry to hear that you had to swap motor. What boils down to this dilemma of a blown head gasket starts from the type of antifreeze we all use for our cars. Honda antifreeze is recommended for all Honda and Acura cars. This is because the additives must be free from silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite. Honda antifreeze is free from additives mentioned that will prolong the life of the car's engine. You really didn't take care of your car properly. You have to be abreast of your cars condiiton. Diagnostics devices may not work will only give you an idea something is wrong with your car. Any other lights may not come on to indicate you have a malfunction. If the coolant is low or full and if there is an erratic idle, that will advise you there is a problem in the system. I corrected my problem by draining out coolant from the radiator and bleed the system. I use Prestone 50/50 Silicate, Phosphate, Borate and Nitrite free. Is the only antifreeze that I can get in any auto shop store and Walmart. It all worked great. I didn't have blown head gasket as suggested by three mechanics I spoke to. But these are the vehicles system that is telling you what the problem is. But if you don't know how to read the cars alertness then you are in trouble. Although you swapped the motor, if you don't take car of that new motor, you will have the same problem.

Edited by: bravo659

Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM

I JUST BOUGHT A 1992 LEGEN COUPE AUTO 128000 MILES WHEN I DROVE IT HOME WHITE SMOKE CAME OUT OF EXHAUST THEN IT STOPPED I PULLED OVER CHECKED IT PUT WATER IN RADIATOR THEN STARTED AGAIN I GOT IT HOME TO CHECK THERMOSTAT WAS MISSING SO I TRIED K.W HEAD GASKET SEAL COMES IN A LIME GREEN BOTTLE AT AUTO ZONE 19.99 A BOTTLE FOLLOWED DIRECTIONS BUT AT THE FINAL STAGE I DRAINED IT PUT JUST WATER NO ANTI FREEZE AND DROVE I HAD LET THE K/W SIT FOR 24 HOURS THE FILLED RADIATOR WITH JUST WATER SO FAR SO GOOD THE HEATS WORKING THE TEMP IS BELOW HALF I RAN IT FOR 1 HOUR IDILE THEN DROVE WILL GET BACK IF SMOKE COMES OUT.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM

on massive repairs like this.I always get a second opinion.

i hope its just a bad radiator.