Acura  Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum

Acura Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/)
-   Integra (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/integra-22/)
-   -   Turbo suggestions... (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/integra-22/turbo-suggestins-2666/)

blindstrife2000 08-06-2008 06:31 PM

I have a 2001 gsr. I am looking to turbo it. I was hoping to get some feed back from others who have gone this route as to which brands to go with. Also I dont want to have to change out any rings and what not. How much boost can i safely run? Any help would be great.

andry 08-21-2008 05:07 AM

do you want turbocharger or supercharger? it is similar but different.

blindstrife2000 08-21-2008 05:49 PM

I am up for suggestions. I have heard that you can get cheaper power from turbo but I dont know a whole ton about the pros and cons. If you have some insight i would love to learn

andry 08-21-2008 10:53 PM

a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted"
energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a
turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system
and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher
RPMs.

you can find more on howstuffworks.com

blindstrife2000 08-21-2008 11:22 PM

what kind do you suggest? is there a brand that is better than another? How much can i look to spend on parts for a decent set up?

andry 08-22-2008 09:45 AM

i've never used turbocharger so i dont have an experience with it.

you can it here:
www.turbochargers.com/store/

thomatt12 09-09-2008 10:17 PM

I suggest turbo! Turbochargers react faster as compared to supercharger. Plus you feel the power instantly. If you are gonna turbocharge your ride I suggest getting a big Garrett turbo or you can opt for the Integra turbo kits to make it easier. Good luck!

blindstrife2000 09-10-2008 07:17 PM

is there a kit that is better than another? I know there is a huge price difference between a garrett turbo and a kit. I dont know if ebay is a reliable sorce for kits or not but i have seen some on there for five hundred... is that a scam or is that what i can expect to pay?

Steath_VTEC 09-26-2008 08:25 AM

I've heard there are only 4 or 5 manufacturers really... all that "no name" stuff is just weak quality, Gerrett is a good company, look into them, you wont really get all that much power out of a SC as you would a TC, best bet is to go on youtube.com and type in turbo integra or something and just read what kind the people have, do research on that kind and go from there... hope I've helped

RegularRob 10-06-2008 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by thomatt12
I suggest turbo! Turbochargers react faster as compared to supercharger. Plus you feel the power instantly. If you are gonna turbocharge your ride I suggest getting a big Garrett turbo or you can opt for the Integra turbo kits to make it easier. Good luck!

This is backwards. Superchargers provide instant power because the moment you step on the gas, the boost is there. this is because superchargers are belt driven. But the belt requires HP to turn, therefore causing parasitic loss. Turbos create much more peak HP, but take up to several seconds to spool up, because they are driven by your spent exhaust gasses. Also, the bigger the turbo, the more turbo lag. You need to base your decision on whether you want instant constant power, or serious peak HP. Ive seen both on integras, and both work great with the proper tuning. Just remember, you cant just bolt on a turbo and go. You have to get the proper setup(piggy back or new ecu, new injectors, exhuast, PROPER TUNING). You've got a lot of research to do. Itll be worth your time, or else you are gonna turn your engine into a pile of bolts!