Integra The car that brought the Acura name to the foreground of the sport tuner market...

Emissions help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:20 PM

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] 1990 Acura Integra

Hi everyone, I'm new here and hoping to get a little help. I'll give you a short synopsis. I'm a chick, and I have pretty good knowledge of my vehicle, but not when it comes to emissions and stuff like that.

Last week I had my entire muffler and pipes replaced as I had multiple holes everywhere that were causing me tiredness (while driving) and noise. Now it sounds great and I smell nothing.

Problem is that because I did this, and then had to go to Aircare a couple of days later, I thought since my muffler et al was replaced that I would pass no problem - the last time it was AirCared was Oct 2004 and it passed fine.

I went through Aircare, and failed the NOX test (ask me how mad I was - that close to passing!) and am totally at a loss of what to do. I have three months to get the NOX under control.[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

When I looked over my results, however I noticed that while I passed the others, they were all above the average for my vehicle and very close to being at the fail mark. This was weird since the last time I Aircared they were all nice and low.
I read over my manual and the AirCare brochure and noticed that while each emission test had different items to check if it failed, all THREE had the O2 sensor. Should I be focusing on this?

I also have not had an oil change in a while, so i should do that.

Would anyone be able to tell me if there is a chance that the new muffler could have been the cause, since after I had it put in I didn't drive very much until AirCare day, but I made sure it was warm that day before going in.

I'm just at a loss of what to do. I noticed as well that my Check Engine light comes on once in a while (not while idling but while moving at a good pace) and when I checked the ECU the code was for emissions.

Help!

Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 AM

I might be able to help. I'm ASE Certified Master Tech and specialize in Toyoya and Honda.

Any time the check engine light is on there is a problem that causesincreasedemissions levels.

A new exhaust system will not cause increased NOX. NOX is a byproduct of combustion.NOX goes up when the combustion temuratures are higher than normal and can be caused by several things.

I would need to knowwhat codeis stored in thecomputer to know how to guide you.

Ifthe oil is overdue you should do oil and filter. Also if the plugs, ignitionwires, distributorcap androtor, air filter and fuel filter are old they should be done. But you may not see a significant reduction in the emisions levels by doing these things unless they are caussing the engine to run poorly.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:22 AM

When you decide to go back to aircare get a bottle of octane booster and run that tank threw then go back. do the oil change like u are suppose to every 3000 miles.