TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

CRY for help from Europe - strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:50 PM

1 yr ago I've bought '99 TL 3,2[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]. I'm experiencing strange noises (tick-tack) from the bottom of the engine -probably between crankshaft and oil pump. These noises are particularly well heard during the car is on rather low rpm - around 750 or below form the bottom right front corner of the car.
I've taken the car to the local Honda service, but after 2days and 250$ spent the diagnosis is not clear at all. They've replaced timing-belt -no effect, these are not typical sound neither from the sockets nor from the valves.
The serviceman suspects that it might be the clearance between the oil pump and the rib on the camshaft which is between 0,2-0,3mm. He told me that the cross-section of camshaft on one end it's a rib, on second end it's plane - and just by the rib there are these freeplays (or clearance), which might be the source of these tik-tak noises. By stethoscope you can barely hear anything -for sure is not depended on alternator or transmission because there are no noises there. With higher rpm -around 2,000 or more this noise is nearly impossible to notice. The current serviceman suspicion is the oil pump, which perhaps should be replaced but he is not 100% sure if it's a real source of the problem. Especially because he had checked the pressure on the pump and it's OK.
The car goes smoothly, tranny seems to be so far no problem, but these strange noises worried me a lot. Especially if this car is really unknown in Europe, I can only rely on your expertise.
Maybe somebody can help me by some more suggestions before purchasing new oil pump?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM

have a engine oil analisys performed to see if you have aluminum deposits or any other type of metal within the system.

i had a old VW with a nick in the cam gear. it clicked for 80,000 miles befor the rest of the car wore out. and got recycled

it is possiable that you had a piece of dirt/material go through that pump. and now it is noisy.

the check on the oil should be VERY cheep if it comes back clean then i would just run it...and turn up the raido

Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 AM

I've checked oil - no traces of whatsoever.
It might be link to the belt connected with power steering pump - I've noticed that frequency of these clicks seems to be similar to frequency of some kind of "irregularity" of running this grooved belt. Can these grooves irregularity cause this clicking sound?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:08 AM

I've bought a Yamada oil pump through Delray Acura in Florida. Pump cost me with transport 173 $. Additionally I had to pay custom tax and VAT tax around 45 $. It is still a lot cheaper than by local Honda dealer - nearly 670 $. I will replace it and check whether the noises are gone or not. Interesting that I've tried to contact Delray 4 times by e-mail, but I've not received any single reply. However the package is after 2 weeks delivered and I'm satisfied. Have you also experience "lack of communication" with Delray Acura?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Last Friday I've changed the oil pump, which had been suggested by Honda dealer - serviceman. Surprise - that horrible noises are gone now. The car seems to run smoother, but it might be just my "theory". Anyway it's really more quiet both in the inside and outside. Oil pump replacing costed me approximately 280$ replacement + 150$ pump itself. Is it cheap or rather expensive?