General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

WTF is with my brake lights?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM

I have an 01 TL. My brake lights don't work anymore. Tried new bulbs, ..........didn't work. The light in therear dash still lights, so it can't be the brake switch (Right?).................. Tried swapping fuses...... Didn't help......... Swapped relays......... Still nothing. The lamps light up (With the keyless entry for example) but they don't react to the brakes being applied. If it isn't the lamps, brake switch, fuse POOP

Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 AM

I suspect your brake lights are controlled through a smart electronic module that gets signals from various devices and decides what to turn on and when. You will need to get the factory manuals and study them to get an understanding sufficient to dianose and repair the problem.

Alternatively, you may have to consult with the experts.

Yeah, the dealer.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM

I have an 01 TL. My brake lights don't work anymore. Tried new bulbs, ..........didn't work
It could be the cable connection that is having a problem. Try checking that also..

Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 PM

Awfully specific there danfuller..................

Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

have it checked[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM

The lights that light up with the keyless entry are your parking lights and not your brake lights, Thay just hapen to be in the same bulb but differant filament. Replace both bulbs and let me know

Old 09-11-2007, 12:18 AM

You probably already had it fixed but if you haven't, check the switch at the brake pedal and make sure it hasn't moved or is not stuck on the off position. Hope it works.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 AM

I, in fact, have not got it fixed yet. I don't think that it is the brake switch, since the light in the rear window works fine. Apply the brake, it lights up. I have already tried new bulbs, and swapped fuses and relays. As far as I can tell, the wiring harness is untouched, and since one of the filiaments in six differant dual-filament bulbs work when I use the keyless entry, I doubt that it is a power, or bulb issue. So barring a power issue, bulb issue, wiring issue, brake switch issue, fuse issue, and even a relay issue, what else can it be?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 AM

ah the fun of it all

im betting you have a bad turn signal switch.

check to see if your turn signals work

power comes from your brake fuse through your brake switch then through your column where it kills the brake light if your turning.

that power splits and allows the third eye to power up independent of the column. some times it is split before the brake switch there for there is 2 brake switches...(if this is the case the other switch may be at fault)

Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Assuming that the turn signal work fine, and the light in the rear window works fine, then would that mean that the brake switch behind the pedal itself is what isn't working? In other words, could it be the simplist solution? I have been operating under the assumption that the brake switch behind the pedal, operated both the brake lights and the light in the rear window. Or am I totally off planet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF is with my brake lights?!?!?!?!?!?!!?