General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Memory Position/Steering Wheel Error

Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Howdy all!

I have a 1995 Legend GS and I'm having a problem with my Memory Position buttons/Steering Wheel....

I was driving home yesterday and I heard a few high pitched beeps, but I didn't see any dash lights come on, so I figured it might be something from the CD I was playing.

When I got home and pulled the key out of the ignition I noticed that the steering wheel didn't move back and up.... it just moved up. I checked the memory position buttons and both are blinking in unison. I tried to use the buttons on the side of the sterring column to move the steering wheel and the only buttons that work are the up and down; the telescoping buttons don't cause any movement.

I checked the manual and it said that I should bring the car to a dealer if the memory position buttons are blinking, but I was wondering if there were something I could check/fix myself?

I can still drive the car because the telecoping error happened while the wheel was in the correct position. However, I'm the only one that can drive it b/c the wheel can't be moved back and forth anymore.

Edited to add: The memory position buttons still work fine. I have two different settings in them and, when pressed, the steering wheel and seat all move into the correct position. The only thing lacking is the telescoping part of the steering wheel.

Anysuggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by: harsiese

Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 PM

Problem solved!!!!

I was about to give up on finding a fix for it, but when I took my car to get serviced the service manager had a suggestion: reset the computer.

Apparently, he had had the same problem on his GS years earlier and when he installed a new battery the problem had gone away.

Had them reset the computer and now everything is working fine!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM

That's the cheapest fix ever. Good deal!

Old 05-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Definitely!