CL The Mid-Sized coupe that offered buyers the feel of a compact coupe with the interior to comfortably seat 4...

How to remove wood grain plastic trim around climate controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Default How to remove wood grain plastic trim around climate controls

Ok kids, here is another Question to get zero responses to. The previous owner of my 99 CL had a liquid air freshener in the vents above the climate controls. It leaked! it ate away a tiny spot on the wood trim panel around the climate controls and also dribbled down into the MODE switch button, causing it to become one solid fused mass, and no longer work to change ventilation modes.

I found a complete climate control module assembly on eBay for $40, but have no idea how to get the trim panel off. Search Youtube vids does not show anything relevant. So.. does anyone have any experience in taking the dash board apart in any way that can give me some info?

I even looked in Chiltons enormous manuals at the library and they cover nothing at all about this.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 AM

Well I have no knowledge about this thread so I am unable to make any comment. I would be looking to it and then would be able to post my experiences.

More Jibberesh...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Well I had forgotten all about this. I solved my problem by bold experimentation. Afrer removing more stuff than necessary it comes down to this:

Remove Glove compartment

Remove 2 screws that screw up into the plastic trim from inside the far right of the compartment.

Use a pry tool very carefully and simply start easing the trim out. It has plastic tabs with metal clips that snap into slots in the internal framing.

I did in fact break 2 of the plastic tab posts. I repaired them with copious amounts of welder type glue.

The center console trim must be removed to give access to wiring that must be unplugged. This is a similar pry carefully job.

Unplug the radio and other accessories to completely remove the center piece.

With the access now available reach in and unplug the AC/Heat control

Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator :
Thumbs up Good Post..Thank You!

Originally Posted by larryj54
Well I had forgotten all about this. I solved my problem by bold experimentation. Afrer removing more stuff than necessary it comes down to this:

Remove Glove compartment

Remove 2 screws that screw up into the plastic trim from inside the far right of the compartment.

Use a pry tool very carefully and simply start easing the trim out. It has plastic tabs with metal clips that snap into slots in the internal framing.

I did in fact break 2 of the plastic tab posts. I repaired them with copious amounts of welder type glue.

The center console trim must be removed to give access to wiring that must be unplugged. This is a similar pry carefully job.

Unplug the radio and other accessories to completely remove the center piece.

With the access now available reach in and unplug the AC/Heat control
Thank you for your post..Good information for our members..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images